The avocado is often hailed for its known nutritional qualities and is very popular with chefs for its versatility. Recently there has been a series of YouTube clips on the many ways that it is being served for breakfast along with eg. on corn pancakes, or sour dough with tomato relish or a few herbs.
What is not so well known is that the avocado provides a number of practical and medicinal uses, the skins offer antibiotic and antiparasitic benefits, if you have a tree the leaves can be used to make tea to treat infections such as sore throats.
But do you know, the seeds also offer lots of potential health benefits? I hadn’t ever thought that you can grind an avocado seed in a food processor to use in smoothies and other foods. So save the avocado seed, it’s good for your health as listed below:
1. Antioxidants: An avocado seed contains more than 70% of the antioxidants found in the whole fruit, which are linked to many diseases and obesity. It has Lutein and Zeaxanthin, which are very important for eye health and lower the risk of macular degeneration and cataracts.
2. Soluble Fiber: The avocado seed is among the highest naturally-occurring sources of soluble fiber, which helps lower cholesterol levels and very beneficial to people with heart disease.
3. Digestion: This is another health benefits of avocado seed, it is a natural digestive remedy. As discovered in traditional American Indians medicine, avocado seed has been used to treat both dysentery and diarrhea. Dysentery is a disorder of the digestive tract that results in both colon and intestinal inflammation. It may cause diarrhea and even more serious problems.
4. Cancer Fighting: The avocado seed contains flavonol, a powerful antioxidant that prevents tumor growth. In fact studies with rats with cancer given Avocado Seed powder results look promising.
5. Immune System: Because antioxidants keep free radicals at bay, avocado seeds have ability to boost your immune system and helps you through cold and flu season.
6. Anti-inflammatory: Due to the good anti-inflammatory ability, avocado seeds help with some joints disease and arthritis.
7. Anti-aging: Avocado seed oil has been shown to increase collagen in your skin thus helping to keep your skin youthful and wrinkle free.
8. Asthma: Avocado is an excellent anti-asthma food, the L-glutathione in avocado helps quells inflammation systemically and repairs damaged gut health, thus preventing triggers of asthma from engaging. And avocado seeds grated, roasted and made into a tea is effective for asthma.
Ref: Alex Jordon of Natural News