- PhD in plant pathology from Monash University carried out at Monash University, South Australian Dept of Primary Industries & UCLA, Davis, California.
- Lectures in plant pathology, in particular, grape vine diseases, but agricultural and environmental pathology in general; microbiology of soil and biological/organic and biodynamic principles including the soil food web.
- 1994 to present: Academic at Charles Sturt University, Monash University and University of Melbourne.
- 1999 appointed foundation director for Centre of Wine, Food & Agribusiness in Faculty of Business and Economics at Monash University.
- 2006 appointed to Faculty of Land & Food Resources at University of Melbourne – involved in postgraduate distance mode to national and international students.
- 2009 continuing part time lecturing in Diplomas of Viticulture and Oenology for Goulburn Ovens Institute of TAFE.
- 2009 continuing part time lecturing in Faculty of Medicine, Monash University.
- 2010 continuing coordinating and lecturing in a professional development subject with Dr Elaine Ingham of Soil Foodweb Institute USA.
- Recognised as national and international leader in research into the plant pathogen, Botrytis cinerea, the fungus that causes rot of grapes, flowers and many vegetables.
- Contributes papers to national and international journals.
- Has chaired and participated in national and international conferences and symposia in plant pathology.
- Has a research-consulting laboratory with 2 staff.
- Can carry out water testing, any plant disease identification and identification of fungi; quality assurance, label rate validation; research projects in agriculture, horticulture and biological post-harvest crop protection.
- Expert witness statements for courts and VCAT.
- Integrated Pest and Disease Management workshops for wine industry.
- Soil Foodweb Institute testing laboratory for soils, compost, compost teas.
- 20 years an Honourary Consultant to the Victorian Poisons Information Centre on mushroom poisoning and identification.
- Involvement in Landcare and alternative farming practices.
Member of the Australian Institute of Agriculture Science & Technology