This Walk the Talk: is a simple look at some basic observations to use to find out if your farm is healthy. It is a practical visual to be used in conjunction with your own Farming Secrets Observation Book and Soil Health Card.
In this presentation you will see:
- Thistles and the work they do
- The level of nutrients as shown by a brix reading in different plant species growing in the same area
- Why cattle do not eat grass around a cow pat
- Different aspects of root growth
- Mycchorizal fungi
- The importance of biodiversity
- Dung Beetles
In this presentation you will see you will also see the use of a:
- Penetrometer – home made and bought – reveals compacted layers
- Brix meter – shows the nutrient uptake by the plant
- Spade – a great tool for quick soil checks for soil profile, surface compaction, root growth, soil structure and also compaction.
TALK THE WALK FOLLOW UP
Done watching the video?
Listen to the Follow up “Talk the Walk” Q&A Call Session
Hugo Disler interviews Gerhard Grasser
“Essential Observations for Healthy Soil”