WORMinar with Nicole Masters
WORMinar with Nicole Masters on Vermiculture by NutriSoil
We would like to thank NutriSoil and Nicole Masters for not only recording this webinar but for allowing us to share it to our members, please checkout their website and say thank you by supporting their products, books and services.
Integrity Soils: https://www.integritysoils.co.nz/
- For The Love Of Soil Book – https://www.integritysoils.co.nz/product/for-the-love-of-soil/
Thank you so much to Nutrisoil, and of course Nicole Masters for this wonderful WORMinar.
Here is the Summary:
1. Why use worms
- Reduce Effluent
- Better inoculation of the soil with beneficial microbes
- Can be an extra revenue stream
- Closing the loop of inputs i.e. stop buying fertilizers
2. Worms are the “HOSPITAL FOR THE SOIL”
- Release nutrients
- Poo out Nitrogen-fixing microbes
- Prevent frost damage
- Create a Pharmacy for pest control within the soil
3. Benefits of using worm poo and / or worm compost
- Use 50% less herbicides for weed control
- Better water infiltration to the soil
- Drought Resistance
- Encourages palatable fodder grasses to grow
4. Seed Micro-biome
- Seeds need to have the right microorganisms around them to thrive.
- These microorganisms and the seed actually communicate with each other via chemicals.
5. Which Worms?
- Tiger worms (Nicole’s favorites)
- Red Wrigglers
- Indian Blue worms
6. Livestock (Worms) requirements
- Bedding (High carbon fluffy stuff) eg straw, paper, cardboard, etc
- Food eg any organic waste matter
- Temperature ideally between 20C-25C, but can survive 0C-35C
- They like some lime